Forest Automata formalism

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Tue Oct 20 22:03:15 BST 1998

Several people have asked me about my paper on Forest Automata.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find time to compile a decent
bibliography, nor add the code examples I hoped to, but I'm going to
release it anyhow. There is a partial(?) bibliography on Robin Cover's
SGML/XML page.

My paper (sans biblio) can be found at:

http://www.prescod.net/forest/shorttut

Forest Automata theory is a formalism for describing SGML/XML validation.
The formalism makes clear some obvious extensions to SGML/XML
validationand can be used as a source of ideas and answers relating to DTD
parameterization, "data types" (lexical data types),
validation-in-context, query languages etc.

Hopefully I will find time or funding to expand this paper eventually,
because there are many interesting highways and biways that it hints at
but does not explore.

4'33" is rarely performed as an encore.	- Steve Newcomb
(for info about 4'33":
	http://www.lenzo.com/~sburke/stuff/cage_433.html
	http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/johncage.htm)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)