Forest Automata formalism

Reynolds, Gregg greynolds at datalogics.com
Wed Oct 21 16:41:04 BST 1998

Thanks to Paul for making the paper available.  I've been working on a
tree query language that has ended up looking much like a forest/tree
regexp language; I had not considered it from the dtd/schema
perspective.  Looks very promising!

FYI:  There is a bibliography of 144 items in "Handbook of Theoretical
Computer Science Part B", Elsevier and MIT Press 1996, Chapter 4
"Automata on Infinite Objects" by Wolfgang Thomas.  Part Two of the
chapter is entitled "Automata on Infinite Trees."  Caveat: very heavy
sledding.  Most of it sails way over my head, but on pages 165-166 there
is a very concise account of tree concatenation etc., which I found
understandable and useful.  You can probably find this in a bookstore if
you're in a major city.

Two other good references:

"Text Algorithms" by Maxime Crochemore and Wojciech Rytter, Oxford 1994

"Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences: Computer Science and
Computational Biology", by Dan Gusfield, Cambridge U. Press 1997.  Very
cool book.  Excellent and thorough treatment of suffix trees.

- gregg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)