XML-QL Follow up

Rob Schoening rob at xenex.com
Wed Oct 28 02:53:55 GMT 1998

  XML-QL seems well suited to doing queries on single XML documents.
However, it doesn't seem to be particularly well suited for searching
through sets of documents.  I'm thinking of a database that could treat DTDs
the way relational databases treat their relations.  Ideally I'd like to
submit a query and retrieve a set of results corresponding to the XML
documents (tuples) that satisfy the query.

  For instance, I'd like to be able to issue something like:

select * from invoices where value(<total>) > 1000

or

select * from musicians where name like 'Garcia'

which might return URIs to the documents fitting the criteria.  It would be
a hybrid web/database server...kind of an dynamic ORDBMS.  The clumsiness of
ODBMS and ORDBMS systems could be eliminated since XML text is
self-descriptive.  The software and administrative overhead of getting data
in and out of a database could be eliminated.

Does this interest anyone?  I'd like to start a project along these lines.
Is this just a pipe dream?  Practical?  Impractical? Useful?  Useless?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Rob

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)