Netscape is running an XML app!

Philippe Le Hégaret Philippe.Le_Hegaret at sophia.inria.fr
Fri Oct 30 15:06:32 GMT 1998

Dave Winer wrote:

> Yesterday I got an email from Jeff Veen at Wired pointing me to the server
> that Netscape is running its What's Related? application on. This is the
> project they did with Alexa, and it's the back-end for the What's Related?
> feature in Netscape 4.5.
>
> I had a little time to kill, was looking for a diversion, so I sent a
> message to Netscape's server via script and I was blown away. It's XML! Yes
> it is. And why, oh why, didn't they tell anyone? (Or did I miss something?)
  Sorry but this is not an XML application.

  Netscape doesn't escape the ampersand character in their format :
  <child href="http://info.netscape.com/fwd/rl/http://www.indianoak.com/" name="Indian Oak Resort & Spa"></child>

  See the Rule 10 of the XML specification.

Philippe.
---------
Philippe Le Hegaret
Philippe.Le_Hegaret at sophia.inria.fr -- http://www.inria.fr/koala/plh/