XML CASE Structure

Paul Foster paul.foster at bt-sys.bt.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 15:17:00 GMT 1998

I know the answer to this will probably be no but I thought I would
check with the reflector anyway.
When defining a structure in "some" programming languages it is possible
to have alternate strutcure parts based upon a preceding attribute's
value in the strutcure ie. the CASE statement.
Is it possible to mimick a "CASE" type feature in a single XML DTD based
upon the actual value of one of its elements.   I think the answer is
no.
However, the way I am thinking of to achieve this functionality is to
re-direct the XML application to another DTD when it comes across an
element type called say "DTDReDirect", the value of which gives the
location of the new DTD.
Any alternatives and better ways of doing this would be appreciated.

Regards
Paul Foster
BT Labs, UK

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)