Validating IDREFS...

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Tue Sep 1 02:32:23 BST 1998

Attila Torcsvari wrote:

> Recently I wanted to make more checkable my SGML/XML source,
> and I have similar troubles mentioned on this thread.
> What should I do if my IDs and IDREFs contain non-name characters? Why is it so?!
> (My pages should be reachable for external databases, which use identifiers with the same syntax, so I can not just convert the values to something else.)

With SGML it's easy - you just need to extend the SGML declaration to allow the characters to be valid name characters. With XML, the only thing I can think
of off hand is to define the attributes as CDATA rather than ID/IDREF and write something to check that the values match up, possibly as a post process.
ID/IDREF processing can't be resolved until the end of the document has been reached anyway, so this might not be a huge disadvantage.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                 email:  mrc at allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia) email:  info at allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street    www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia   phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                            fax:    +61 2 9262 4774