ANN: New SAXON Release (3.03)

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 11:06:24 BST 1998

A new version of SAXON (3.03) is available for download at
http://home.iclweb.com/icl2/mhkay/saxon.html

SAXON is a java class library that sits on top of a
SAX-compliant XML parser, providing additional services to
aid document manipulation and transformation. In general it
is designed to help you write applications that need to
process a *specific* document type, rather than for
general-purpose XML tools.

The distribution includes as a sample application
DTDGenerator, a tool that takes an XML document as input and
produces as output a DTD to which it conforms.

Principal changes in this version:
* Improved mechanisms for performing multiple document
passes when using the DOM
* Improved ParserManager for controlling which SAX parser to
use (now uses a Java properties file and incorporates a
starter list of known parsers)
* Updated to work (optionally) with Docuverse DOM-SDK.

(The previous unannounced version 3.01 worked with Free-DOM
3 and was on the web for fully three hours before Don Park
announced the replacement of Free-DOM by DOM-SDK. Is this a
record for software obsolescence?)

There are two classes included in SAXON which are
free-standing and which can probably add value to any SAX
application:
- ParserManager, which allows you to maintain a list of
installed parsers and to control which one should be
instantiated
- ExtendedInputSource, which subclasses the SAX InputSource
class to allow a java File to be supplied as the XML source

Terms of use have not changed: essentially free to use but
not to include in a commercial product. Source is included.
If you find SAXON useful, please let me know, it tells me my
time was not wasted!

Thanks to the correspondents, whose names I have forgotten,
who suggested the improvements in this version.

Michael Kay
M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
ICL Electronic Business Services

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)