xsl query or transformation language

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Tue Sep 1 20:38:03 BST 1998

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Paul Grosso wrote:

> I would disagree with Henry that pattern matching is querying in any
> useful, usual sense of the word.

Querying is about asking "what elements in the grove match this pattern?"
XSL matching is about asking "what patterns does this element match?"
They are opposite, but they both have the "match" at their heart. The
syntax of matching, at least, should be the same. Perhaps a generalized
query language should also have extra stuff for transforming the
matches.

> I agree that the syntax of XSL patterns (both match patterns and
> select patterns, since they use almost the same syntax) is a potentially
> useful syntax for an XML-aware query language.

I think almost everybody agrees that we should at least attempt this.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)