WP conversion issues

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Fri Sep 4 08:17:28 BST 1998

Andy Dent wrote:

>  BTW something I'd like to see a lot more of are examples of markup decision
> making and the reasoning behind them, like the Design Patterns movement in
> programming.

Since you asked, my book "The XML & SGML Cookbook: Recipes for Structured
Information", Charles F. Goldfarb Series on Structured Information Management,
Prentice Hall, 1998, 650 pages + CD-ROM, ISBN 0-13-614-223, is the only attempt
I know of to look at markup from the Design Patterns movement viewpoint.  Part 2
of the book is called "Document Patterns".  It has patterns for most basic
structures, with discussions of when one is more appropriate than another and
tips and warnings.

I am not aware of any material on the internet, though there may be some general
discussions, e.g. relating to design of particular structures in HTML, i.e.
tables.

 Another possible source, targetted at explaining particular DTDs, is Dave
Megginsons'  "Structuring XML Documents", which you may also find useful.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)