XML-QL

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Sat Sep 5 13:15:45 BST 1998

<35EBF5E5.1BB74120 at technologist.com>
Gcc: nnml+archive:Sendt
--text follows this line--

* Paul Prescod

| It would also be useful to compare XPointer, which is a sort of
| query that returns a single node.

XPointer can return sets of nodes, parts of nodes and a span of nodes.
Whether they can operate on a set of nodes is not stated in the
current WD (it's on the list of things to be clarified), but I would
assume not.

But it's still useful to compare XPointer. The CSS2 selectors are also
a sort of query language, and seem rather similar to XSL patterns.  (I
have just briefly skimmed the XSL WD so far.)

In fact I think it would make very good sense for XSL patterns to
extend the CSS2 selectors instead of starting again from scratch with
XML query language number 3.

--
"These are, as I began, cumbersome ways / to kill a man. Simpler, direct,
and much more neat / is to see that he is living somewhere in the middle /

 http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/      http://birk105.studby.uio.no/

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)