Licensing policies (was Re: ANN: Docuverse DOM SDK PR2

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Tue Sep 8 08:01:32 BST 1998

Tyler,

>For those people using the DOM SDK now and who enjoy the product, I would
seriously
>encourage these people to plea for Docuverse to charge something for a
commercial
>license, even if it is as low as $99 so that they can have some solace in
the fact
>that there will be future quality versions of the DOM SDK.  99$ is
basically the
>same cost as 3 development hours for the average engineer.  If 99$ is too
much money
>to spend on any commercial product, then your whole business plan for your
product
>needs some serious reevaluation.  Small ISV's like Docuverse should not
feel
>pressured to capitulate to the large ISV's like IBM or Microsoft who can
afford to
>give all their tools away for free in their efforts to squelch the up and
coming.

Thanks for the thought but even if all of the hundred or so DOM SDK users I
am aware of sent me a check for $99, it will not even begin to cover the
cost of developing and maintaining the DOM SDK. It is also unfair to tax
early developers with financial burden.  They are mostly individual
developers with pioneering spirits working in explorative projects which are
not usually funded well.  I think it makes more sense to 'invest' in
encouraging these pioneers so that XML-based technologies will be widely
accepted in corporations around the world.  At this time, far less than 1%
of data in corporations are in XML format.  When the figure exceeds 10%, we
will begin to see the fruits of our combined efforts.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)