Expanded Name vs Prefix Name + Compound DTD: Whats the difficulty?

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Thu Sep 10 21:17:18 BST 1998

Mark Tucker wrote:

> I must confess that I don't understand the problem, but it doesn't
> look hard.  To the naive eye, I would just read in the relevant DTD's,
> and perform the same "Fully Prefixing" operation.  Since the DTD's
> would all be prefixed consistenly, can't we just toss all the
> productions into the pot, and turn the crank?  How do they interact,
> if they all have differently named elements and interactions?

Not at all, and that's the point.  You won't be able to place
elements from one DTD inside elements from another, unless the
enclosing element has an ANY content model.  What takes work and
thought is figuring out how the content models of the various elements
should be extended (or not) to incorporate elements from other DTDs.
I don't see how *any* tools whatever can help you much with this,
except in the mechanical parts.

> Ah, the fact that the URI doesn't represent an existant resource
> doesn't matter here!  You can't use the URI to retrieve the DTD,
> but, suppose you already know the DTD which corresponds to the URI?

In that case, full speed ahead.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)