namespaces discussion

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 22:09:56 BST 1998

Q:  "Why not associate namespaces optionally with DTDs (not necessarily via
the name-space URI)?"

A:	This was discussed extensively during the design, and rejected for
two reasons: First, it was not the minimal necessary to enable namespaces.
Second, there are many possible resources that could be associated with a
namespace.  DTDs are one, but various forms of schemas, style sheets,
documentation, etc. are also likely.

I hope this is helpful.