[ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

Andy Dent dent at highway1.com.au
Fri Sep 11 07:08:47 BST 1998

At 23:01 +0800 10/9/98, Paul Prescod wrote:
>The browser takes XML, pumps it through an XSL engine, receives an XML
>result (according to a known DTD with formatting semantics) and renders
>*that*. You can do the same with your report writer.

THANK YOU

I don't think anyone in any of the many  messages I've read or the books
I've bought has explained the point of the XSL translation quite so
clearly. I *knew* there was a (stupidly obvious) step I was missing.

I think the thing that confused me is that the generated XML from the XSL
processor will inherently be marked up for rendering and no longer just
structured content, correct? (ie:  glorified HTML).

I kept concentrating on XML as remaining free from rendering-oriented
content, so could not see how the gap was closed other than in the final
renderer, like our product.

Mind you, it still may be vastly easier and more efficient for us to skip
this intermediate step as an XML rendition and keep our intermediate
version purely in-memory as a set of c++ formatting objects, applied to a
database.

Andy Dent, Software Designer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability
http://www.highway1.com.au/adsoftware/crossplatform.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)