[ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

Andy Dent dent at highway1.com.au
Fri Sep 11 20:44:44 BST 1998

At 6:40 PM +0800 11/9/98, James Clark wrote:
>How are we disagreeing?  I said "specifies its result as XML" not
>"specifies that its result is XML".  In other words it describes its
>result in terms of an XML document.  That XML document doesn't have to
>be created.
Ah.

In that case you are making more precise use of English than I'm used to
parsing (too much dealing with Americans :-) and we are not disagreeing.
I'm also relieved to see that my understanding and intentions are not as
far off the mainstream as I thought.

This has been an interesting discussion. It seems to me that there are 2,
possiby 3 variations on the processing models, as perceived by different
people on this list.

content-only XML + XSL =
1) XML structure as internal representation (eg: c++ objects)
2) XML output formatted for markup, like non-styled HTML
3) structurally transformed XML plus a stylesheet (which may be CSS)

Andy
(Australianised ex-pat)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)