XML is boring (long --- sorry)

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Sun Sep 13 12:56:27 BST 1998

Dave Winer writes:

 > If Microsoft, for example, were to store all their Office files in
 > XML then you could use any other tool to work on the files.

In fact, they plan to store the files in HTML, and use what they call
'XML islands' within the HTML pages to store extra
application-specific information.  Presumably, then, I'll be able to
see _something_ when I look at the files in Netscape on my Linux box,
but modifying the documents or interpreting the extra information in
the XML islands will be non-trivial.

 > So Peter's dream of an XML-based spreadsheet may not be so far away.

Still a bridge too far right now.  Why doesn't someone take Sun's
spreadsheet demo and modify it to read and write XML?  It should be a
couple of evenings' work, and would make a fun demo.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/