XML is boring (long --- sorry)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sun Sep 13 18:56:17 BST 1998

At 08:23 AM 9/13/98 -0700, Dave Winer wrote:
>I also wonder if the W3C is up to handling issues of file formats for
>productivity apps,  graphics tools and groupware, or if some other forum
>for discussing file format standards is necessary.

Tough call.  I think that W3C's choices so far have been consistent
(HTML, XML, CSS, MathML, SMIL, etc) but I'm not sure anyone has written
down the underlying principle.  For example, I can't see W3C being
an appropriate venue to discuss spreadsheet formats, but I can't really
crystallize why that's the case. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)