XSchema: Final Review (1-3, A, B, & D)

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Sep 15 11:04:16 BST 1998

The (hopefully) final version of sections 1-3 and appendices A, B, and D oof the XSchema specification is now available for review at:

   http://www.simonstl.com/xschema/spec/xscspecv2.htm

The review period lasts until 23 September 1998.  Unless any major questions are
raised, we will freeze these sections of the spec.  Please send comments to
XML-DEV or privately to me at rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de.  (Simon
is swamped trying to get a book out, so I have temporarily taken over editorship
of the spec.)

I will try to post Section 4, XSchema Transformation to XML 1.0 DTD, Section 5,
Connecting XSchemas to XML Documents, and Appendix C, XSchema in XSchema early
next week.  Hopefully, these sections (which are largely usage discussions)
won't prove too controversial and we can release XSchema 1.0 in the near future.

-- Ron Bourret

Significant Technical Changes in 9/16 version:
* Added UnparsedEntity element.  This is needed to validate ENTITY attributes.

* Allowed AttGroup to be nested inside AttGroup.

* Removed the Name attribute from AttGroup.  (It is a container and therefore
only needs an id.)

* Added the id, ns, and prefix attributes to AttDef.

Significant Editorial Changes in 9/16 version:
* Revised section 1.3, Relation to Standards

* Clarified element references in attribute definitions (section 2.4, para. 2)

* Clarified attribute namespaces (section 2.4, para. 4)

* Moved discussion of id attributes to separate section (2.8)

* Clarified namespace use (sections 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2)

* Added appendices A (References) and D (Contributors)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)