[ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Sep 15 16:39:01 BST 1998

Toby Speight wrote:

> We were discussing what HTML elements looked like in XML.  AFAICS, to
> represent SCRIPT or STYLE in XML, we must use #PCDATA (since there's
> no CDATA in XML) and escape the content with entities or a marked
> section.  That way, the parsed result is the same whether we parse the
> HTML-XML with an XML parser, or the HTML-4.0 with a HTML parser.

Yes, certainly.  Going back to the original point, though, I was
trying to argue for a directly supported ability to write out
XSL-generated stuff as HTML, since the required hack for doing so
is much smaller than that required for Postscript, RTF, etc. etc.

Now that the distinction between "specifies its output as XML"
and "specifies XML as its output" (or whatever it is) has been
made, the point's moot for now: it will have to be revisited
when/if HTML becomes an XML subset.

> Of course, if we then rewrite it as HTML 4.0, we need to be aware that
> the output is CDATA (though there's no way in the general case to deal
> with ETAGO in the data).

In the general case, no, but workarounds exist for ECMAScript,
CSS, and VBScript.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)