ANN: DOMParser

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Fri Sep 18 00:54:25 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> Tyler Baker wrote:
>
> > Sorry my confusion lies in that parsing refers to taking data of one unmanageable
> > form and converting it into a manageable form.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Parsing a DOM tree is an oxymoron IMHO unless
> > you are converting the DOM tree into some other tree.
>
> No, what I have is code that converts a DOM *tree* into a
> SAX *event stream*.  The result is "manageable" to applications
> that expect SAX events.

Ahh, I see.  In this sense I suppose it is a parser.  I suppose I just was not sure
what you meant at first.  In this case you have a DOMSAX for better lack of a term.  I
can see how this would be useful to apps that build a DOM tree straight out of a
database and then need to have the data be sent into some XML framework without having
to first write the contents of the DOM tree out to a stream and then read it in the
output as input into a SAX compliant parser.

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)