Characters having an ASCII value > 127

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 15:01:52 BST 1998

>imagine a plain text file which I want to markup using XML.
Now it could be
>that there are characters in this file whose ASCII value is
greater than
>127 (in PCDATA sections).

If your file contains a code higher than 127 then it is not
ASCII -- ASCII stops at 127.

For example, it might be ISO 8859-1 (the code that Microsoft
refer to as "ANSI"). Many XML parsers will accept a file
containing characters from 8859-1 if you use an encoding
declaration at the start of the file:

<?xml encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>

However, the only encodings that XML parsers are obliged to
accept are the UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of ISO 10646
(informally, Unicode).

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)