String expressions in XSL

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Mon Sep 21 00:41:37 BST 1998

Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> 2) The (first) XSL draft recommendation says quite clearly that an
> expression language will be provided:  we just weren't ready with one
> in time.  If you're keen to see string manipulation included, see
> point (1) above.

The spec. says that there must be some extensibility mechanism, but not
that it be an "expression language" in the sense that that word is used in
DSSSL and in the old XSL. James described something quite different that
he was thinking about in the XSL-List recently.

Or do you mean something much smaller by "expression language" than
"extension mechanism"? (i.e. a small set of non-programmable primitives)

It's such a
Bore
Being always
Poor