Socat issues for XML

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Sep 21 02:45:09 BST 1998

I've just finished the first cut of my implementation of Socats
as a SAX EntityResolver, and two points have come up:

1) With the minor exception of notation declarations, every public id
in XML has an accompanying system id.  Therefore, the OVERRIDE entry
does not make sense: it must be ignored, and the default must be YES
rather than NO.

To explicate OVERRIDE: in SGML Socats, OVERRIDE NO means that when
an explicit system id is present, the catalog entries are ignored;
OVERRIDE YES means the catalog entries override an explicit system id.

2) As another consequence of system ids being always present and always
URLs, a usable Socat implementation must not search the whole
public catalog space for SYSTEM entries.  When should the search stop?
In some sense "when going offsite", but just when is that?
Any suggestions?

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)