Corba data -> XML

Sigi Reich sr at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 22 18:46:31 BST 1998

Thillai,

you might be interested in these two references:

- Dave Winer describes how a remote procedure call (rpc) can be realised by
encoding the call (method, parameters, ...) in an XML message (document)
that is transferred via http. See
http://www.scripting.com/davenet/98/02/rpcOverHttpViaXml.html

- The Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group (OHSWG) addresses a similar
problem as you described by specifying interfaces for different domains of
hypermedia and communicating them as XML documents (the documents are
transfered over TCP/IP using a similar mechanism as HTTP). For testing
purposes also a communication using Java's RMI has been realised. See
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/ohs/ and
http://www.mmrg.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~sr/ohs/ohpindex.html for further details.

Sigi

At 12:25 22/09/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I know only little bit about XML.  I like to know whether a CORBA operation
>can be expressed in XML document type definition?
>
>For example if the IDL has something like
>
>interface z
>{
>	typedef sequence<String, 5>  t1;
>
>	void x(in int p1,  in t1 p2);
>}
>
>and I want to store the parameters for the operation in a file.
>
>I like to have a XML data file like
><interface>
><operation>
><inparameter>
><param>
>p1
><value>10</value>
></param>
><param>
>p2
>klm</3><4>nop</4></value>
></param>
></inparameter>
></operation>
></interface>
>
>If there is no maximum limit for the type t1 then no. of elements in the
>sequence might vary.
>
>For this file is it possible to write DTD.  (I will read about DTD and find.
>Before that any expert comment will be helpful)
>
>If it is possible then is it possible to write XSL for getting values from
the
>user.  (no. of elements in the sequence might vary at runtime).
>
>Thillai
>AT&T
>Middletown, NJ
Sigi Reich, Research Fellow
Multimedia Research Group
Department of Electronics and Computer Science, Bldg. 59
University of Southampton, Southampton S017 1BJ, UK
phone +44 (0)1703 59       fax +44 (0) 1703 59 2865
email sr at ecs.soton.ac.uk   http://www.mmrg.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)