Public Identifiers

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Wed Sep 23 02:27:33 BST 1998

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> SGML Formal public identifiers are not necessarily persistent names because
> there is nothing in ISO 8879 or ISO 9070 that requires them to be (nor
> could such a requirement be enforced or validated).  All that ISO 9070
> provides is a process for registering *owner identifiers*, which are,
> presumably, persistent (at least as defined by the assigning body).
> However, the name owner is responsible for managing the names within their
> slice of the FPI name space and can do whatever they want with them,
> including reassigning them without regard for persistence at all.

That's true. But Internic does not go even that far. It does not promise
not to reassign domain names. In fact, it does so regularly. I don't even
have the option of legally promising my clients that resources at my site
will be persistent, because I don't know if my contract will be renewed in
a year.

It's such a
Bore
Being always