XML Database

Jonathan Robie jonathan at texcel.no
Wed Sep 23 15:45:53 BST 1998

At 12:47 PM 9/23/98 +0900, Kenji Chichii wrote:
>Hi to all.
>
>We sometimes encounter a client who belives that making XML(SGML)Documents
>means making Database. What they believe is if they make their document in
>XML they will easily be able to find information in it, and to manage it.
>
>We are having hard time to make them understand if they need data base,
>they have to develop a data base system.
>Then, they loose interest in XML(SGML). What they want is easy and versitle
>data base system.

There are, in fact, document management products that allow you to do
queries on document data, reuse components from one document in another,
provide a programming interface to the data, etc.

I would distinguish carefully between two approaches to XML databases. If
what you have is fundamentally objects, relational data, or other
traditional "database" data, then you are best off using a relational or
object database, and exposing it as XML for the purpose of data exchange.
If what you have is fundamentally document data, then a document management
system is probably what you want.

>Do you have any good ideas to show the advantage of XML as the data base
>format to this kind of people?
>Are there any experienc or information regarding XML(SGML) data base?
>Are there any good XML data base in commercial basis?
>If there is such Database, how much will it cost?

What kind of data do they have? What do they want to do with it?

Jonathan

jonathan at texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no