Processing instructions (was XSchema: Sections 5.0 and 5.1)

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 11:39:47 BST 1998

>if you use an attribute-like syntax [for Processing
Instructions]
>then at least you may have a fighting chance that future
common
>tools will be able to examine them and use them.

>But, of course, piggy-backing PIs onto elements using
attributes
>is probably always a preferable option...

That gives me the opportunity to ask a question that's been
bugging me for a while.

I'm designing a document type. Is there any circumstance
when you would advise me to use a Processing Instruction
rather than an empty element with attributes? I can't think
of one myself, but I'm sure the XML designers must have had
something in mind.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)