XML and Objects

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Sep 28 16:58:24 BST 1998

David Megginson scripsit:

> I don't think that you need a CDATA section with Base64 (can someone
> confirm that Base64 excludes '<' and '&'?).

I confirm it.  Base64 has 65 characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, +, -, and =,
the last of which is used for padding purposes when the binary
is not a multiple of 3 bytes (Base64 is basically a 3-byte binary
to/from 4-byte ASCII conversion).

Authoritative information is available in RFC 2045, clause 6.8.

>  >     * Wrap the document in a multipart/related MIME message
>  >       and include the content as attachments
>
> This sounds like a wise choice.  XML packaging is a problem that the
> W3C XML Activity has not yet addressed -- experimentation and
> implementation experience will be very helpful to them when the time
> comes (after all, that's one of XML-DEV's greatest strengths).

One advantage of multipart/related is that there is a standard
URL format for referring from one part of a multipart message to
another.  Each part can have a Content-ID: header, analogous to
the overall Message-ID: header, and then an URL of the form
"cid:xx7f9weURV at whoever.com" can refer to the part with that
header.  See RFC 2111.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)