XML and Objects

Chris Hubick maillist at chris.hubick.com
Tue Sep 29 10:29:20 BST 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, David Brownell wrote:

> david at megginson.com wrote:
> > processing the first files while the rest are arriving.  ZIP is
> > useless for this purpose, since it keeps the directory information at
> > the end; TAR is good, as (I think) is CPIO.
>
> The Java ARchive (JAR) format has manifests at the very beginning,
> so that the correct digital signatures can be computed during download.

	A JAR file is a Zip file.  You can change .jar to .zip and load
it on up in WinZip, or any other zip program.  The manifest is placed in a
special directory in the zip file.  I actually mapped the .jar extension
to WinZip.  I just jar up all my package directories with source, and
Winzip allows me to easily do a wildcard delete on all *.java files :-)

---
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris at hubick.com
http://www.hubick.com/