Between raw and cooked II: Are? DTDs are just for validation

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Fri Apr 2 00:08:34 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote:

>Jonathan Borden writes:
>
> > Beyond requiring that external entities and default attributes be
> > expanded, is there a way to allow non- and validating parsers to
> > process the same XML documents in a functionally similar fashion,
> > that is, the same SAX events be fired or the same DOM tree be
> > constructed whether or not validation is employed?
>
>I'm hoping to have that worked out in the new core SAX2 features.
>AElfred is one good example of a non-validating parser that reads
>external entities and the external DTD subset.

        Yes, but this behavior is up to the parser and this is the problem
(getting back to IE5's default behavior). This behavior, as implemented by
AElfred, IE5 etc. has no 'official' status in the XML spec, merely being
described as "non-validating+"...

    We need a simple term to describe parsers which either 1) fire a
standard series of SAX events and/or 2) construct identical DOM trees given
a single XML document.

    Perhaps: well-behaved

Jonathan

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)