Elements-Attributes-Data (was RE: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1)

David Brownell db at eng.sun.com
Fri Apr 2 20:47:20 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> Actually, apps need to know about error messages too, but that wrecks
> the litany.  Everything else should be taken care of invisibly by the
> parser.

public abstract void repeatTillDone (Elements, Attributes, Data)
	throws SAXException;

:-)

Speaking of which, and surely a rats nest but one that's worth at
least bringing up:  does anyone think there is more to be standardized
in the area of exceptions/diagnostics than just the warning/error/fatal
distinction we have now?

To elaborate a bit:  normally, one wants to catch exceptions and
recover from them to some degree.  Different exception, different
recovery -- if the peer closed the socket cleanly, there's probably
been no error, but other sorts of I/O exceptions are trouble.  There
might be such issues with XML too; probably will be, over time.

I can't think of any such issues related to parsing XML, at least
right now I can't, but I'd like to know if anyone else has any.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)