DB Industry answer to Oracle 8i is ...

Charlie Kaiman ckaiman at i3solutions.com
Fri Apr 2 23:11:49 BST 1999

I just finished reading an excellent whitepaper on Oracle 8i, and it seems
to me that they are way ahead of other Industry leader's like Sybase, and
Microsoft (in terms of working with XML as an actual datasource).  It
appears that their initiative allows XML to be broken down using
descriptors (equivalent to MS's XML Schema ????), and stored as relational
data, as a text 'blob' (a long string of XML tags, I assume ????), or both.

The whitepaper can be found at:
http://www.oracle.com/xml/documents/xml_twp/

What I'm wondering is ... how are other companies, like Sybase, MS, etc.
planning on implementing XML on the back-end?  We've seen a lot in terms of
rendering on the client (no doubt an important aspect), but very little on
the back-end strategies.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, in
terms of learning more about this?

Thanks much.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)