SAX2: DTDDeclHandler (minimalist position)

David Brownell db at eng.sun.com
Sat Apr 3 00:29:03 BST 1999

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * uche ogbuji
> |
> | Furthermore, I've been thinking of proposing that the SAX2
> | interfaces be specified in IDL rather than Java (or at least
> | publishing an IDL translatiuon when the interfaces are stabilized),
> | and your proposal wouldn't wash in IDL.
>
> Many things in SAX won't wash in IDL, such as the use of the
> Java-specific InputStream, Reader and Locale objects.
>
> Also, IDL has a problem in that it's sort of a least common
> denominator, and thus leaves out many useful language-specific things.
> So you'd probably want to do a manual translation anyway.
>
> If there ever is a published SAX spec I think it should use IDL to be
> politically correct and point out potential language-mapping problems.
> However, the actual utility of IDL I think is low in this particular
> case.

When we defined IDL at the OMG, we acknowledged that there was scope
for language-specific binding attributes for a bunch of specific
things.  That didn't argue against using IDL for the majority of
methods, where such language-specific issues don't crop up.

There's no crime in writing, as the OMG did, specs that are IDL but
where particular data types are defined as being language-specific,
and not subject to the general mapping rules.  In CORBA 1.0 and 2.0
we called that "Pseudo-IDL".

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)