Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Sat Apr 3 04:28:56 BST 1999

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> The reason to parse the DTD is that enternal entities and default attributes
> are something which are very well needed client side... if entities were
> left unexpanded by default this would change the 'meaning' of the document
> itself, something which end users might be interested in :-))

My (and perhaps other's) confusion is apparent from the subject - we were assuming that
by handing a DTD and an instance to what was believed to be a validating application
should result in the validation taking place. Although it appears that Microsoft's
handling is correct, I find the reputed requirement that the provider must insert
JavaScript code (or a reference to a *.js file) in every document to be validated as
detrimental to the openness of XML.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc at allette.com.au