Fw: Fw: XML query language

Oren Ben-Kiki oren at capella.co.il
Sun Apr 4 10:57:54 BST 1999

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

>I wrote:
>> Both XML-QL and XQL have ways to construct results (CONSTRUCT and
>> <xql:result>).
>
>There is no such element type described in
>http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html

Sorry, you are right, of course. I've picked it up from one of the papers of
the QL conference -

>> I'd also add:
>>
>> - We should have separate specs for XQL, XTL, and FOs. The XTL spec
should
>> simply reference the XQL spec. The FO spec should be independent.
>
>Techically a good idea but I think that it is politically impossible to
>separate XSL and its matching language at this point. Maybe XSL 2.0 will
>depend on whatever XML QL is eventually standardized.

>> - XQL should be used wherever a set of XML elements needs to be selected
>> from an XML tree.
>> - So therefore CSS should allow using XQL in its selectors. For that
matter,
>> CSS should allow an XML syntax :-)
>> - And also XPointers?
>
>I agree with all of this but changes to CSS are unlikely in the
>short->medium term.

Not to mention the chances of unifying XPointers and XQL - technically a
sound notion (even if the "XPointer" version is limited to selecting a
continuous portion of the tree), but highly unlikely.

I find it disturbing that something such as XML which is about as "new
technology" as you can be is already suffering from so much
backward-compatibility and "historical reason" warts. XSL which has never
even seen version 1.0 is already showing these symptoms!

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)