XML Torture Test: Parsers Fail

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Apr 7 21:53:34 BST 1999

At 11:09 AM -0600 4/7/99, andyclar at us.ibm.com wrote:
>Elliotte,
>
>> yesterday. XJParse 1.1.14 can now handle this document from the Web site
>> but not when the files are loaded from the local hard drive where it
>still
>> reports AllenWatson.xml not found.  XJParse 2.0.4 seems to work from both
>> the local hard drive and the Web site, but it's hard to tell since it
>> doesn't report as much as XJParse 1.1.14.
>
>How are you supplying the filename to XJParse in version 1.1.14? You may
>have to use a fully qualified URI -- even though it's local. For example:
>
>  file:///path/file.xml

No, I just checked and that still fails in exactly the same way using
XJParse 1.1.14. For what it's worth this is on Windows NT. It would not be
out of the question that there are some implicit Unix assumptions in the
source code that might be causing problems. Most of one chapter in my
latest book is dedicated to dealing with exactly those sorts of problems,
because they seem to be extremely common. The xml4j source code isn't
available, is it?

|        XML: Extensible Markup Language (IDG Books 1998)            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764531999/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://sunsite.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://sunsite.unc.edu/xml/     |