PITarget uniqueness

Peter Stark stark at uplanet.com
Thu Apr 8 01:49:41 BST 1999

How do I guarantee that the target name of my Processing Instructions (PI)
are unique? It's probably out of the scope of the XML spec. to specify, but
are there any general guidelines for naming PIs?

I am layering XML directly on top of UDP and TCP, and use PIs to send
instructions to the application (identfied by the PITarget).

<?myapp do something ?>

<!-- A WF XML doc with all data the app. need --->

<?myapp / ?>

The alternative would have been to invent a new HTTP-level protocol, or use
HTTP, but for the purpose of what I am doing, it felt like overkill.

I have read the Extensible Protocol [draft-harding-extensible-protocol-00]
draft.

Any opinions about this usage of PIs?

Thanks,

Peter