XSL as XML transformation

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Thu Apr 8 19:25:37 BST 1999

Hi,

I've been reading through the XSL spec and I noticed that it
mentions that XSL could be used as an XML transformation mechanism
as the result tree need not use the formatting vocabulary.

Does this mean that its possible to use XSL to do transformation
from one XML document type to another? If so are there any gotchas
that I should be concerned with?

I've been casting about for a decent mechanism and was all set today
to begin designing a custom system to do my job, albeit with much
of the rules defined by an(other) XML document type. Then I read
the XSL spec again and thought that perhaps I could get the transformation
'for free' as much of the transformation stuff I need to do (element
renaming, attribute/element conversions,etc) seems to be possible.

I'm aware that architectural forms offers some of this (actually
I'm doing a many DTD, SGML -> single DTD XML conversion, so
originally looked at SGML architectures) but I'm unclear as to
how contentious or well defined this is for XML (as opposed to SGML).

I'd really appreciate any comments people care to make. I could
provide some more details if necessary.

Ideally I want a relatively low maintenance solution. I'm prepared
to do a custom implementation but don't want to miss the boat and find
out I've reinvented the wheel (apologies for mixed metaphor ;).

L.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)