Comments Appreciated on Magazine Based on XML/XSL

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Fri Apr 9 04:50:22 BST 1999

HI Mark,

<Comment>
1. All data is stored in a hierarchical database. Here we have articles,
issues, countries, people, companies, events and whatever.

2. Data is extracted from the database as required, as XML. There is no
such thing as a 'document' in the normal sense; we create each XML
document on the fly by simply extracting a node and all its children.
Digging data out just requires the start node to be specified. Our new
version implements this better with fragments and a small part of XQL.
</Comment>

<Reply>
To better understand the process. Do I understand you well. The process is:
a) Convert the hierarchical database data into a XML document (i.e text)
b) process this document (i.e. text) with MSXML and a XSL style sheet
c) send the produce HTML document to the client.
<question>
Why do you convert the hierarchical database into XML? Is it because the
hierarchical database do not have a DOM interface?
</Question>

Just curious to learn. Thank you for sharing your explerience.
</reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com