Comments Appreciated on Magazine Based on XML/XSL

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Apr 11 09:36:41 BST 1999

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> Well, for example ODI's eXcelon is basically a DOM interface on an object
> db.

That is not my impression. My impression is that Excelon is a persistent
cache for DOM trees built on an object database. If you have non-XML data
objects it is completely your responsibility to figure out how to build
XML or a DOM for those objects.

The Excelon architectural diagram shows Excelon acting as a front
end to a variety of data stores but my understanding is that the mapping
from arbitrary objects and tables to DOM objects is done by integrators
and programmers not automatically by Excelon.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a
single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the
electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture
that began with Gutenberg’s press. On several counts, that now seems
the reverse of the truth.

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19-12-98/index_xm0015.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)