IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

David Brownell db at eng.sun.com
Sun Apr 11 21:27:22 BST 1999

MURATA Makoto wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> >
> > Well, if a US-based group recommends US-ASCII that should not really be
> > a surprise ;-) However, while US-ASCII is compatible with UTF-8 it is
> > not the same; and it is not compatible with UTF-16. So, it is a very odd
> > choice for a default.
>
> IETF I18N guideline documents (RFC 2277 and RFC2130) recommend UTF-8 as the
> default.  When the WWW was invented, 8559-1 was the default.  US-ASCII is
> the intersection of the two.

US-ASCII is also what MIME has always specified, even before HTTP
was specified to use its variant of MIME.  Being an intersection is
convenient; but it's also been the standard.

The IETF recommented no more (or less) than compatibility with the
existing standards.  I'd expect any standards body to do that, even
one with the substantial international participation of the IETF!

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)