Standalone documents as external parsed entities.

Alan Kennedy alank at iol.ie
Mon Apr 12 16:28:02 BST 1999

Hi,

>From my reading of the XML 1.0 spec, it is not possible to have a
standalone document, with it's own DTD, "included" in another document
as an external parsed entity.

Am I wrong?

My situation is that I have a group of standalone documents, each one
representing a member of a scientific organization. As well as producing
a web page for each of those members, from the standalone documents, I
want also to produce a "directory" on a separate page, which lists each
of the members, in alphabetical order, by country, etc. The most obvious
way to do this is to group the standalone documents in a "list"
document, which contains external entity references which refer to each
and every one of the standalone documents, and use XSL to
order/transform that "list" document.

Not being able to have a DTD on external parsed entities makes it
difficult to deal with character entities in those parsed entities, for
one thing, not to mention attribute handling.

Am I missing something?

Alan Kennedy.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)