Parsing unparsed external entities (was: Standalone documents ...)

Toby Speight tms at ansa.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 19:19:49 BST 1999

John> John Cowan <URL:mailto:cowan at locke.ccil.org>

0> In article <3712237C.18BE9009 at locke.ccil.org>,
0> John wrote:

John> Then you need an application framework capable of recursively
John> parsing unparsed entities using XML notation, which AFAIK does
John> not yet exist.

This is what (sgml-parse) is in DSSSL for.  Beware, though, that if the
XML concrete syntax is not your default[1], you need to make sure the
system identifier includes it.  In Jade, this is done with something
like (string-append "<osfile>xml.decl" filename), where filename is the
system identifier of the external entity - I don't trust myself to get
the syntax right for finding that!  (but it can be done)

[1] i.e. if you write your command lines as [tool] xml.decl mydoc.xml

If you're not tied to XML, you might want to use SGML and SUBDOC
instead (but I'm not sure how that's supported in the tools).

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)