problem with IE5

David Brownell db at eng.sun.com
Tue Apr 13 02:57:09 BST 1999

Richard Tobin wrote:

> > Looks to me like:
>
> >   (b) IE5 however REQUIRES conformance to the namespace spec,
> >       and thus rejects some well formed XML 1.0 documents,
> >       such as Richard's original;
>
> In what way does my document (below) not conform to the namespace
> recommendation?

My goof ... some other examples I tried get rejected
however, including ":some:long:xml_1.0:names".

I'm seeking an accurate description of the syntax that
IE5 supports, and "XML 1.0" doesn't seem to be it ...
neither does "XML 1.0 but requiring XML namespaces".

> 	It contains no qualified names in the body, and
> prefixes in the DTD are not required (and not able) to be declared.

Prefixes in the DTD can be declared, but in this case they
weren't ... more to the point, they didn't need to be!!

> > >  <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > >  <!DOCTYPE test [
> > >  <!ELEMENT test ANY>
> > >  <!ELEMENT foo:bar ANY>