Non-printing character in XML and expat

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Fri Apr 16 22:12:50 BST 1999

* Bob Posert

| When using expat to parse the following xml:
|     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
|     <tag>
|     &#24;
|     </tag>
| I get an error "test.xml:3:0 reference to an invalid character number"

The error is correct. Character number 24 is not an allowed character
in XML.

This is clearly stated by the WFC to production 66 in section 4.1.
See section 2.2 (production 2) in the XML recommendation for a listing
of the allowed characters in XML. U+0014 is not among them.

By the way, did you really mean to refer to the DC4 control code
character? If so, why? (I'm asking so that we may be able to suggest
alternative solutions.)

| MS's xml notepad reads it OK.

Then that's a standard violation in XML Notepad.

--Lars M.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)