buffering XML and XSL (was Re: Streaming XSL Stylesheets)

xml xml at 0000000.com
Tue Apr 20 19:30:11 BST 1999

I just caught the tail-end of this discussion which was interesting.
DXML (my framework) does not normally buffer anything but can effectively
process the XML/XSL documents I'm working with.  I am targeting specific areas
though, not trying to be 100% compliant with the specification.

For what I'm doing, non-buffering of XML/XSL is doable and beautifully
suited to this framework's purpose.  Additionally, I'm including the ability
to turn buffering on, so that everything is retained in memory.  Mainly
I'm doing this so that I can learn about sets of documents that may require
me to buffer information.  Additionally it's just nice to have the ability
to keep everything in System memory, for obvious reasons.

So in a nutshell, I am processing files something like this:

1.  Read an XML file until/unless you get to the XSL file callout.
2.  Read the XSL file, store the program.
3.  Continue reading the XML file.  Look for XML tags that satisfy
      the program's requests.
4.  Stop when XML file data has been read completely.
5.  Throw away XSL program buffers and XML data.

Some of you may flame me on my approach.  Know that it's targeted
at embedded processors where processing power and memory are limited.
Of course it compiles on Linux/Solaris as well so I am interested in
scaling up when possible.  (It's all in C.)

I am worried about nested stylesheets and various other usages of
XSL that may escape me.  Currently I can't handle those well and I
would like to.  XSL looping structures and conditionals are not
a real problem though using a non-buffered approach and at the
very least I have a set of tools that useful for dynamic web-page
creation on my platforms... which was the original goal.

Thomas

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)