How to use binary data with XML?

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Wed Apr 21 03:41:13 BST 1999

xml wrote:

> Using mime attachments and such is so inefficient... would they really
> opt for storing binary object attributes using text-encoding approaches?

	MIME parts can be and often are binary. For example when you view a GIF or
JPEG image on the Web (i.e. using HTTP), they are transmitted quite
efficiently as a MIME message of Content-Type: image/jpeg and
transmission with a Content-transfer-encoding: base64 though ESMTP can
handle binary data as well.

> ...I'm used to seeing binary and text mix and
> if the binary was inside of a (predictable) XML tag that would be
> just dandy!

	Dandy, but something else than XML... this can be your own private data
format. Oh darn that inconvenient spec :-)

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)