Yet another validity question

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Sun Apr 25 06:08:05 BST 1999

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Marcus Carr wrote:

> From: Marcus Carr <mrc at allette.com.au>
> John Cowan wrote:
> > Liam Quin wrote:
> > > One reason it is there is to allow "elephants", but exclusions were
> > > later removed from XML:
> > >     <!ELEMENT HOLDER - O (ELEPHANT*) -ELEPHANT>
> > > in which HOLDER must now be empty but can have a missing end tag.
> >
> > I suppose you mean "can have an explicit end tag", no?  After all,
> > ordinary EMPTY elements don't have end tags.
>
> I suspect that Liam was using "empty" in the sense that it is an element
> that cannot contain other elements because its content model doesn't
> allow it to, rather than one that has the declared content of EMPTY.

That's correct.  In SGML (not XML) an EMPTY element cannot have an end tag.

If you are dealing with fully normalised data, it really helps if they
do have end tags -- the XML /> notation was devised for this purpose.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, GroveWare Inc., Toronto;  The barefoot agitator
l i a m q u i n     at    i n t e r l o g    dot   c o m

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)