Apache Charset sniffer

Matthew Sergeant (EML) Matthew.Sergeant at eml.ericsson.se
Tue Apr 27 12:43:14 BST 1999

I was reading the XML spec on the way to work today (sometimes traffic jams
combined with a PalmV are a real blessing :)) and realised that my Apache
XML charset sniffer might be in error. By default it returns application/xml
as the mime type, but it returns it as:

application/xml; charset=xyz

Which now, according to everything I know about http and now the XML spec
seems wrong. If I'm returning application/xml I shouldn't return a charset
at all - that's up to the end application. I should only return a charset if
the user wants to return text/xml.

Is that the consensus on this list?

Does returning a charset for application/xml do any harm? Does it do any
good?

Matt.
--
http://come.to/fastnet
Perl on Win32, PerlScript, ASP, Database, XML

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)