IE5 and Amaya: Different Entities Results

Sall, Ken ksall at cen.com
Tue Apr 27 15:10:28 BST 1999

Forgive me if this has been covered in one of the many discussions
about entities. However, I'm trying to use the GCA Paper XML DTD
for Markup Technologies 99 with IE5 (3/18/99) and also Amaya.

The DTD http://www.mulberrytech.com/MT99/mtxmldtd.html
references several entities files. My test file (below) tries to
use entities from 3 sets, Greek, Technical, and Pub; this produces
some curious results:

       Greek  Technical  Pub
IE5    ok     fails      fails
Amaya  ok     ok         fails

Is it that these browsers use built-in entities and completely
ignore external entities?

-Ken Sall
 WDVL and Century Computing Division of AppNet, Inc.
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE mtpaper SYSTEM "mtpaper.xml.dtd" >

<!-- Get DTD zip file from http://www.mulberrytech.com/MT99/mtxmldtd.html
-->

<mtpaper>
<front>
<title></title>
<author>
  <address><affil>Century Computing Division of AppNet,
Inc.</affil></address>
</author>
</front>
    <para>
	Greek tests:
	Here is lambda: &lambda; and capital Lambda: &Lambda; and mu: &mu;
	and rho: &rho; and delta: &delta; and psi: &psi;.
	<P/>

<!-- Next section fails in IE5 March 18th release. -->
	Technical tests:
forall: &forall; and isin (set membership): &isin;
	and rArr (implies): &rArr;
	<P/>
	Pub tests:
dagger: &dagger; and star: &star; and frac25: &frac25; and male: &male; and
female: &female;

   </para>

  </section>
</mtpaper>